Q. How do I find a book on the shelf with a call number?
At CSUDH we use the Library of Congress classification system to organize materials. Books are shelved next to other items on related topics and organized by call numbers (the address of each book).
Example: RC280 .B8 L58 2016
- According to the chart below, R books are located on the 4th Floor South Building.
- Go to the 4th Floor South and look for "RC" (between RB and RD).
- Follow the numbers after the RC’s until you get to 280 (two hundred and eighty, not 2-8-0).
- Look for all the RC280s with letters following them, and find the letter B.
- Go to B8.
- Look for all the RC280.B8’s, and find the letter L.
- Go to L58 (fifty eight, not 5-8).
- Look for the year 20116 at the end of the call number.
- There is your book!
Books are located on the 3rd and 4th floors of the Library South Building. For detailed maps, please view our library floor plans.
|South Building||Call Numbers|